Caraustar is seeking a Category Manager, Capital & Energy to provide ongoing support to engage business unit leaders in their ongoing capital projects by leading the end-to-end supplier selection and bidding processes across high value spend categories. Lead continuous improvement processes in support of our corporate wide strategic sourcing and vendor rationalization program. This person will be responsible for Identifying, planning, and directing the Capital and Energy project procurement needs in an efficient and effective manner. Strives to continuously find ways to reduce costs, improve quality, and ensure that projects are delivered on schedule and within budget. This will require working directly with BU senior management, operators, P&Ls, functional experts, and regional mills as well as the senior leadership team to drive the strategy and deliver on the total cost out commitments to the business.
Caraustar Industries, Inc. is one of North America’s largest integrated manufacturers of 100% recycled paperboard and converted paperboard products. The company is a socially responsible corporation, is committed to environmentally sound practices and is dedicated to providing customers with outstanding value through innovative products and services. Caraustar has developed its leadership position in the industry through diversification and integration from raw materials to finished products. Caraustar serves the four principal recycled boxboard product end-use markets: tubes and cores; folding cartons; gypsum facing paper and specialty paperboard products.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Have an in-depth understanding of project management techniques and principals
- Influence suppliers manufacturing processes, technology decisions and policies in ways that are mutually beneficial and sustainable for both organizations by leveraging the volume of Caraustar.
- Work with team to negotiate, renew and discontinue vendor/contractor contracts.
- Understanding of subcontracts with onsite construction labor
- Analyze industry trends and evolving technology to proactively identify supply base issues to minimize risk, protect continuity of supply, and exploit emerging opportunities that benefit Caraustar.
- Evaluate supplier core competencies and competitive positioning using industry cost models.
- Review and approve a comprehensive list of suppliers for bid processes developed by analyzing the industry to understand trends and competitive positioning in order to ensure system activation of the best possible supply base.
- Participate in development of a negotiation strategy that delivers against business objectives and achieves sustainable relationships with suppliers.
- Implement supplier agreements/contracts by working with cross-functional stakeholders and suppliers to reach agreement on contract terms and conditions.
- Actively seek out opportunities to improve the sourcing process
- Mentor and manage Category Buyer(s)